About Me

My photo
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction. Growing up isn't about finding who you are, it's about creating yourself. I will never regret my past, even if it haunts me - I just don't want to die without any scars.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Performance Q&A

Concentrate -
Stay still, keep silent.
Hold your breath -
And slowly release.
Concentrate -
You'll be just fine.

Don't let yourself be defeated,
Don't let yourself be consumed.
You're better than this.

Don't shake,
Don't dare let him see you tremble -
You are no weak.

Take cover -
He's a threat, an enemy.
This has become a battle,
A war.
This fire is approaching.

You can feel it now,
It's slowly rising -
From your toes to your knees,
It's quickly approaching with poor warning.

It hits your heart - grabs and tears.
Your throat begins to swell,
There is no air left.

You're defenseless now -
You're showing off your vulnerability as your chin begins to dimple.
It hits your freckled nose,
Triggering it to flare.
It creeps slowly to prolong the agony -
How sweet.

Next comes the stinging,
Followed by blurred vision.
As each drop falls, you're consumed.
Drip by drip, he wins.

1) What voice is apparent within your poem? Please describe in detail.

Fear is apparent within my poem – a fear for being found out, and a fear for letting someone get the entire best of you. It’s the gut feeling every one is fearful to have, but it’s inevitable.

2) What type of mood will you try to express when performing your poem in front of the class?

I’ll try to express it in a completely honest mood – letting the apparent emotion of the poem flow. I want the audience to be able to connect and feel the emotion - dramatic.

3) What types of gestures, nonverbals, and or movement will you be incorporating into your performance?

Hand gestures, eye contact, facial expressions

4) What frightens you about this assignment? What seems exciting about this assignment?

I’m terrified to let the poem get to me in front of the class, but I would love for it to get to me.

5) How does performance poetry enhance the meaning of a poem? Be specific.

It allows the poem to be opened up and expressed how it was truly written. Through performance, performers are able to use nonverbal to really connect with the watchers and listeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment